Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Week 6: Organizations

Hey y'all! So, this week I want to talk about student organizations on campus and the pros and cons of being in them. Before I start, I definitely want to make it clear that I think everyone should join student organizations on campus. I used to be "involved" in many clubs in high school, but I didn't actively participate in them. However, I suggest in college you should join 2 or 3 clubs you are willing to put time into because you have to pay money to be in most clubs and they all require active participation to be a member. But, only join clubs that interest you. There is nothing wrong with picking 6 or 7 orgs and then narrowing them down to which ones actually appeal to you and speak to your personality. They are a great way to make new friends, but they also help you discover what you don't like. I am having somewhat of a hard time right now because I have no idea what I want to do, so I tried to be in a myriad of different clubs, but that did not work out. I tried out for some pre-health orgs, but they didn't work out. However, I am in some orgs on campus that I joined through friends and acquaintances I knew from before, like MSA, UMR, TX Thon and DQCH.

These are various organizations that help in hospitals, pediatric patients, refugees, and a religious organization. I have already met people in these clubs, and I hope to meet many more. But, speaking of the other clubs, some application processes were unsuccessful, and others were too demanding for my liking. School will and always has come first for me, so be mindful of how much time you are actually willing to put in when applying. There is a lot of free time in college outside of classes to be in social activities and events, but those can pile up and leave you no time to complete assignments or study (and trust me, you learn that very quickly), which is why I recommend 2 or 3 clubs. They look great on resumes and leadership positions always boost your standing as well. Many people start clubs on campus, but there are already 1300, so thinking of other unique ideas can be tricky for incoming students. Nonetheless, I encourage everyone to pursue and explore the different orgs on campus, go to the tablings during the semester, attend info sessions, and meet people that may help you in the future. College is a networking game, and being in service frats or reputable organizations definitely benefits people in getting internships, resources for graduate or professional school, and jobs. And if you are like me, someone who does not enjoy parties, student orgs are a great place to interact and learn about new things. You have four years to decide what you enjoy, but that won't happen if you don't try new things in the first place - so be open-minded and cognizant of that while you sign up for organizations. Good luck and I hope you have fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment