Monday, September 16, 2019

Week 4: Readings

Okay, so this week is really hectic because the first exam season has started, so everything is just crazy. Today's post won't be that long, but I want to talk about reading in college. It is hard. You have to be able to break up your reading, and plan it out because you cannot do it in one go. I literally had to read a 130 page play, an article, and the textbook chapters all in my first week of college. I almost had a breakdown. I got it done, but it took me forever. An important aspect of college that I have heard from many people is that you need to learn how to skim. Skimming does not mean fake reading, but running your eyes over the reading, and noticing important items in the reading is key. A lot of the readings just need you to understand the main idea and concept, but it requires hard-work and skill. In high school I know many people just don't read or look up summaries online, but in college you literally cannot do that. For many classes, reading the textbook is important because professors who teach the course write them (which is terrifying). I just have a few tips for reading and they are:
- Plan it out
- Read a few pages over the course of a few days (sometimes this isn't possible, but when it is use it to your advantage)
- Take notes so you don't have to reread all the time
- Actually read/skim, don't rely on other people
I always did the readings in high school, and now of course in college, but it definitely comes with a learning curve and I have to change the way I work because I am so busy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment