Thursday, October 3, 2019

Week 7: Study Groups

Studying is probably one of the worst, if not the worst, thing in college. Welcome back y'all! I thought I would start with a straight to the point kind of intro as my initial statement in this blog, just to keep you guys interested based on some of the feedback I got. Now, I have always been someone who works extremely hard and studies a lot. Like seriously. I used to spend hours every day in high school, almost 8 a day, just working or studying, it actually sucked. And honestly, college is a whole new ball game. The amount of free time we have here is crazy, especially when you're someone who feels like you need to constantly be working when you're free, like me (I know, it's sad). I'm not saying college is basically all studying, but you have to be smart about the way you want to approach your assignments and exams. Quality over quantity matters when studying in college because you can honestly be "working" til the sun goes down, but retaining information, especially with the amount of distractions and social events, is super difficult. I came to college wanting to learn time management and creating an academic-social balance, so I had to figure out a way to combine the two without failing out my first semester or being miserable. The solution I found was...study groups. I know a lot of people don't think study groups are beneficial and they are a waste of time, and you're right they can be, but you have to make a plan and find the right people for it to be successful. I have found that learning the information on my own, then going over it with people who work as hard as you and all want to do well is the best way to make the most of your studying time because let's face it, after getting the basics down and working for what feels like eternity, the last few days before the exam are the worst. I know a lot of people procrastinate and cram the night before, which doesn't work in college, so study groups are a fun way to actually get some work done. People can confirm or explain topics that are confusing, and it is a great way to destress and meet new people too. I have a study group for my Communication and Leadership class, and it's so fun to just sit and discuss what we are learning. That's my other point, even though they are called "study" groups, they can also just be discussion groups where you talk about what is going on in the class because keeping up with the lectures is studying in itself. The hardest part about studying is the initial motivation of just having to do it, and if having other people around helps, then go for it! Just go to PCL, sit down with a few people, and study. You don't even have to be in the same class, it's just nice to have people around you when you are bored to death, reading a textbook or notes. Again, give new things a chance in college, and if it isn't your cup of tea, at least you can say you tried it and it didn't work. I hope you enjoyed this week's topic, if you have any more ideas or questions you want me to discuss, feel free to let me know in the comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment