Saturday, October 12, 2019

Week 8: Going Home

Hey guys! So the semester has definitely picked up and the continuous exam season is on a loop. I basically finished and started my first and second round of exams in the same week. Being so busy can be a good thing for someone who is homesick like me, but it's also annoying because you feel like you can't go home. I feel bad for people out of state who have to wait til November to go home for Thanksgiving. I am so grateful to only be 3 hours away from home because I am able to go home every two weeks, which I am so happy about. I am extremely close to my family, I can't even explain it to you guys, so having the choice of going home in the back of my mind makes it easier to get through the weeks honestly. Coming home is always a weird feeling because it's like you're a guest in your own home and you're on vacation. I still have a lot of work to do when I am at home, but it just feels so relaxing and nice to be comfortable and not overwhelmed with campus life. However, the weekends at home fly by and it can be sad. Sundays are probably the worst day in history as they are so bittersweet. After spending two days with family, doing everything I enjoy at home, like eating out, watching TV, and hanging out with all my loved ones, I have to say goodbye and go back "home." It's such a weird feeling. I thought it would get easier, but honestly every time it gets harder and I hate it. I am currently home, so I am hoping that I don't feel too upset when I go back. I am perfectly fine when I am in Austin, but that transition from leaving Houston to go back makes me so depressed that I wish I could just move UT to Houston for my convenience. But I know I can't have the best of both worlds. I just feel like when I am in Austin I miss out on memories and family experiences, so when I am back I don't want to leave. Coming back to my old room in the comfort of my home is something that I never thought I would have to worry about or miss because I always thought it would be there. Everyone misses me so much, so I really love the special treatment I get when I come back as well. It's good to know that the time I get to spend with everyone when I am back home is not wasted and is sacred in a way, and we are all fortunate to have that because many other people cannot come home until the longer breaks. So just some advice before I sign off, if you do get time and are able to go home, I totally recommend it because you need that balance. Being cooped up in Austin is not always the greatest, especially because campus is dead on the weekends; however, if you can't go home, just please try to stay in touch with everything and everyone back home because it makes the transition process easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment